Rail Hubs/Links in and around Cumbria - Invest in Cumbria

Accessibility links

Inspire... Innovate... Imagine...
Tel:+44 (0)1768 895350 | Email:enquiries@investincumbria.co.uk

Rail Hubs/Links in and around Cumbria

Cumbria has enjoyed a remarkably diverse railway history. Starting with locally promoted lines such as those from Carlisle to Newcastle and Maryport in the 1830s and 40s, these were soon linked into the first of the great trunk lines through the area, the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway and its northern partner, the Caledonian Railway.

Local lines proliferated round the coast serving the burgeoning coal and iron industries of West Cumberland and Furness, with the Furness Railway eventually dominating the scene in the south and west - and performing a vital role in the development of its home town, Barrow-in-Furness. Across the county ran the links from the Durham coal fields to West Cumberland and along the Pennines came the Settle & Carlisle line of the Midland Railway.

Rail Hubs/Links
Carlisle

Carlisle

Carlisle railway station, also known as Carlisle Citadel station, is a railway station which serves the Cumbrian City of Carlisle, and is a major station on the West Coast Main Line, lying 102 miles (164 km) south of Glasgow Central, and 299 miles (481 km) north of London Euston. It is also the northern terminus of the celebrated Settle and Carlisle Line - notionally (and historically) a continuation of the Midland Main Line from Leeds, Sheffield and ultimately London St Pancras. It is a Grade II* listed building. Carlisle Railway station was used for the Homebase advert in 2010.

Rail Hubs/Links
Penrith

Penrith

Penrith railway station is located on the West Coast Main Line in the United Kingdom. It serves the town of Penrith, Cumbria and is less than one mile from its centre. National Express coaches leave from the station's car park and there are bus links to Keswick, Workington. Appleby-in-Westmorland and Ullswater from here too.

Rail Hubs/Links
Oxenholme The Lake District

Oxenholme The Lake District

The station is situated on the West Coast Main Line and is also the start of the Windermere Branch Line to Windermere. The station serves as a main line connection point for Kendal, and is managed by Virgin Trains. The word "the" is sometimes omitted from the station name.

Oxenholme has the distinction of being the only village station currently served by express trains on the West Coast Main Line, all the other stations on this route serving either towns or cities.

Rail Hubs/Links
Kendal

Kendal

The station is situated on the Windermere Branch Line from Oxenholme to Windermere. It is operated by First TransPennine Express. It only has one platform which has a stone-built shelter. It is unstaffed. It is served by one train per hour in each direction with some trains running direct to Manchester. Passengers for most other destinations must change at Oxenholme.

Rail Hubs/Links
Burneside

Burneside

The station is situated on the Windermere Branch Line from Oxenholme to Windermere. Burneside is a request stop. It only has one platform, although before the branch was reduced to single track it, like the other stations on the line, had two.

Rail Hubs/Links
Staveley

Staveley

The station is situated on the Windermere Branch Line from Oxenholme to Windermere. Staveley is a request stop.

Rail Hubs/Links
Windermere

Windermere

It is located just south of the A591, about fifteen minutes' walk or a short bus ride from the lake.It is the terminus of the former Kendal and Windermere Railway single-track Windermere Branch Line, with a single platform serving one terminal track.

The station was at one time bigger than this, with four platforms and an overall roof. Three tracks were taken out of use when the branch was reduced to a one-train operated single line in 1973 as an economy measure.

Rail Hubs/Links
Lazonby and Kirkoswald

Lazonby and Kirkoswald

This station serves the villages of Lazonby and Kirkoswald in Cumbria, England. It is operated by Northern Rail who provide all passenger train services. It is situated in the centre of Lazonby and, like many other stations on the line, was closed on 4 May 1970 when local passenger services between Skipton & Carlisle were withdrawn. The platforms and buildings survived however, and following several years of use by Dalesrail excursions it was reopened on a full-time basis in July 1986.

Rail Hubs/Links
Langwathby

Langwathby

Langwathby railway station is a railway station which serves the village of Langwathby. It is operated by Northern Rail who provide all passenger train services. The station was built by the Midland Railway and opened in 1876. It closed when local stopping trains over the Settle-Carlisle Line were withdrawn in May 1970, but was reopened in July 1986.

Rail Hubs/Links
Appleby

Appleby

Opened by the Midland Railway at the same time as the line itself in May 1876, it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The station then passed to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was one of only two stations on the Settle-Carlisle line to remain open (Settle being the other) following the withdrawal of local stopping trains in May 1970.

When Sectorisation was introduced in the 1980s, the station was served by Regional Railways until the Privatisation of British Railways.

Rail Hubs/Links
Kirkby Stephen

Kirkby Stephen

The station is situated nearly a mile from the town at Midland Hill and was formerly known as Kirkby Stephen West because of the older Kirkby Stephen or Kirkby Stephen East station that was situated in the town and was on the North Eastern Railway's Stainmore and Eden Valley lines.

The station is served by seven trains to Carlisle each weekday and six trains to Leeds. Saturdays see an extra service towards Leeds, whilst there are three trains each way on Sundays. DalesRail services between Blackpool North/Preston and Carlisle also call at the station on Sundays during the summer.

Rail Hubs/Links
Garsdale

Garsdale

Adjoining the station are sixteen Railway Cottages built for its employees by the Midland Railway around 1876, the year the Settle-Carlisle Line opened. A further six cottages were added near to the Moorcock Inn soon afterwards. The station once boasted the highest water troughs in the world (just along the line at Ling Gill), and a waiting room where Anglican church services were held. Also Garsdale, in steam days, had a turntable with a wall of sleepers around it to prevent locomotives being spun by strong winds.

Rail Hubs/Links
Dent

Dent

Dent railway station serves the villages of Cowgill and Dent in Cumbria, England. It is operated by Northern Rail who provide all passenger train services.

Dent village is approximately four miles to the west, and 400 ft (122 m) below the height of the station, with Cowgill being the nearest village, around half a mile away.

At an altitude of 1,150 feet (351 metres) near Blea Moor Tunnel, Dent is the highest railway station on the National Rail network in England. Dent Station buildings are available to rent as holiday cottage accommodation

Rail Hubs/Links
Ribblehead

Ribblehead

This station is now leased by the Settle and Carlisle Railway Trust who have completely restored and refurbished it. There are resident caretakers, a small shop selling memorabilia, and its Visitor Centre includes exhibits about the history of the line and the fight to keep it open. One exhibit in the Visitor Centre is the original station sign and a small exhibition about the Midland Railway company, builders of the line and originally the train operators.

Rail Hubs/Links
Horton-in-Ribblesdale

Horton-in-Ribblesdale

In the 1950s and 60s under stationmaster Taylor, Horton won the Best Kept Station award for seventeen consecutive years. The station lost its passenger service on 4 May 1970, but reopened in July 1986, along with several other local stations on the line.

Rail Hubs/Links
Settle

Settle

The station dates from May 1876 and is staffed on a part-time basis. There are a range of facilities available in the main buildings on the southbound platform.

The old station signal box – which was abolished in 1984 – has been restored as a visitor attraction by the Friends of the Settle - Carlisle Line - it is located behind the southbound platform and is open to the public at certain times.

Rail Hubs/Links
Wetheral

Wetheral

The 1830's brought the railway age to Wetheral. The renowned Wetheral Railway Viaduct carries the Carlisle to Newcastle railway over the River Eden. It was constructed by Francis Giles between 1830 and 1834, and stands 100 feet high. It was one of the first railway viaducts to be built in this country. A footpath goes across the railway viaduct between Wetheral station and Great Corby.

Rail Hubs/Links
Brampton

Brampton

The station is located about a mile south east of the town, near the village of Milton. Staff were removed from the station in 1967, with the main buildings demolished in stages during the 1970's. In former times a short branch line, known locally as 'The Dandy', ran from the station, then known as Brampton Junction, to Brampton Town railway station in the centre of of Brampton. This line closed in 1923 and most of the route is now a public footpath.

Rail Hubs/Links
Dalston

Dalston

The railway station is a request stop on part of the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) south west of Carlisle

Rail Hubs/Links
Wigton

Wigton

The railway station is a stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 18 kilometres (11 mi) south east of Carlisle.

Rail Hubs/Links
Aspatria

Aspatria

Opened by the Maryport and Carlisle Railway in 1841, the station was once the junction for a long-defunct branch line to Mealsgate. Passenger trains on this route began in 1866 but ceased in September 1930 and complete closure followed in 1952.

The station became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923, and then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.

Rail Hubs/Links
Maryport

Maryport

The station is somewhat unusual in that it consists of a single bi-directional platform rather than the usual two side platforms used elsewhere on the double track sections of the Cumbrian Coast line. Southbound trains have to cross over to the northbound line to reach the platform before returning to the correct line south of the station. This can cause delays if two trains are scheduled to call in quick succession or if one or more trains are running late.

Rail Hubs/Links
Flimby

Flimby

The railway station is a request stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 47 kilometres (29 mi) south east of Carlisle railway station.

There is generally an hourly service northbound to Carlisle and southbound to Whitehaven railway station with some trains going onwards to Barrow-in-Furness railway station. On Sundays three trains a day go Carlisle and Whitehaven. All of these trains only stop at Flimby on request.

Rail Hubs/Links
Workington

Workington

The present station is the second one to occupy the site. The first one was built at the opening of the original line and replaced by the London & North Western Railway who took over the Whitehaven Junction and Workington & Cockermouth lines in 1866. The Workington station in its present form was first known as Workington LNWR then at the grouping it was renamed Workington Main. With the end of steam the station then was referred to as 'Workington' railway station.

Rail Hubs/Links
Harrington

Harrington

The railway station is a request stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 56 kilometres (35 mi) south east of Carlisle.

Rail Hubs/Links
Parton

Parton

The railway station is a stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 61 kilometres (38 mi) south east of Carlisle. Immediately north and south of Parton, the line runs almost on the seashore, at the foot of cliffs which require supervision and occasional stabilisation to prevent landslides; sea erosion is also a danger, and 10MPH speed restrictions are in force over much of the section between here and Harrington, which is restricted to a single line. There is a signal box immediately to the north of the station.

Rail Hubs/Links
Whitehaven

Whitehaven

The station formerly had four operational platforms, but today only two remain in use. The double line from Parton becomes single opposite the station signal box (which still bears the original station name Whitehaven Bransty) and then splits into two. Trains heading south must collect a token for the single line section to St Bees from a machine on the platform (with permission from the signaller) before they can proceed. Conversely trains from Barrow must surrender the token upon arrival, the driver returning it to the machine before departing for Workington. Only then can the signaller allow another train to enter the single line section.

Rail Hubs/Links
St Bees

St Bees

The railway station is a stop on part of the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 70 kilometres (43 mi) south-west of Carlisle. It is the location of the only passing loop on the otherwise single track section between Whitehaven and Sellafield and trains are sometimes scheduled to pass here. The station still has a signal box, and there is a car park adjacent in the old goods yard. The station is situated only 200 yards from the centre of the village, and there are three pubs within easy walking distance; one, the Albert, formerly being noted for having warning of the approaching trains rung through from the signal box in the evening.

Rail Hubs/Links
Sellafield

Sellafield

The serves the nuclear facility of Sellafield in Cumbria, England. The railway station is a stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line. Some through trains to the Furness Line stop here.

The station (which dates from 1850) is a busy freight location, as much of the nuclear waste for Sellafield's Thorp nuclear fuel reprocessing plant is carried by train here from the docks in Barrow-in-Furness or from rail-connected nuclear power stations elsewhere in the UK.

Rail Hubs/Links
Seascale

Seascale

The railway is dual-track as it passes through Seascale. The railway at Seascale passes over three bridges (two paths; one road) and underneath one (footbridge). The views are of St Bees Head and Scotland (to the north), Seascale village (to the east and south) and the Isle of Man (to the west). There are train shelters and seating but this is not a staffed station. Freight trains often pass through either going to or coming from Sellafield.

Rail Hubs/Links
Drigg

Drigg

The railway station is a request stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 24 kilometres (15 mi) south of Whitehaven. Some through trains to the Furness Line stop here.

Rail Hubs/Links
Ravenglass

Ravenglass

This station has two platforms, one serving trains travelling towards Barrow-in-Furness and one for trains travelling towards Carlisle. All former station buildings on the National Rail site, which is now unstaffed, are currently owned by the Eskdale Railway company, the main building being a pub, The Ratty Arms, the old southbound shelter a museum (leaving only small shelters for mainline travellers) and the goods shed an engineering workshop. Through tickets from trains on the Cumbria Coast Line are available to the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.

Rail Hubs/Links
Bootle

Bootle

Bootle Station serves the village of Bootle and the neighbouring hamlet of Hycemoor in Cumbria, England. The railway station is a request stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 39 kilometres (24 mi) north of Barrow-in-Furness. It is operated by Northern Rail who provide all passenger train services.

Rail Hubs/Links
Silecroft

Silecroft

The railway station is a request stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 31 kilometres (19 mi) north east of Barrow-in-Furness. Some through trains to the Furness Line stop here.

Rail Hubs/Links
Millom

Millom

The railway station is a stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 26 kilometres (16 mi) north of Barrow-in-Furness.

It was opened by the Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway in 1850.

The station buildings also house Millom Folk Museum and a small workshop offering furniture restoration.

Rail Hubs/Links
Green Road

Green Road

Green Road railway station serves The Green, in Cumbria, England, a village some 3 miles (5 km) north of Millom and the rural parish of Millom Without. The railway station is a request stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line north of Barrow-in-Furness.

Green Road has been adopted since 1981 and is a member of Northern Rail's Station Adoption scheme. The station has won a number of awards for its gardens.

Rail Hubs/Links
Foxfield

Foxfield

The station dates from 1848, when the Furness Railway extended its line from Barrow to Kirkby-in-Furness to nearby Broughton-in-Furness with the intention of serving local copper mines. It was opened on 1 August 1848 and consisted of an island platform 13 feet 6 inches (4.11 m) long. Its west face was enclosed in a passenger shed 100 feet (30 m) long. There was also a goods shed 70 feet (21 m) long, and a very small booking office at the north end of the platform.

Rail Hubs/Links
Kirkby-in-Furness

Kirkby-in-Furness

The name Kirkby-in-Furness did not exist until the creation of the railway line. The village in fact is an amalgamation of six smaller villages/hamlets. The name Kirkby was chosen almost at random by the train company for the station and was eventually used for the collection of villages. In Victorian times it gained some fame as the station with the longest platform seat in the country. This though was removed many years ago.

Rail Hubs/Links
Askam-in-Furness

The railway along the Cumbrian coast was completed over many years by numerous small firms, who often would refuse to work together. However, eventually 'Grouping' forced the companies to work together on the railway, instead of constantly competing. Further problems were encountered when the people building the railway ran out of money, and so the proposed Duddon Viaduct, from Askam to Millom, was abandoned. Instead, a different route, going by way of Foxfield, was planned. This saved £37,000.

Rail Hubs/Links
Barrow-in-Furness

Barrow-in-Furness

The present station was formerly known as Barrow Central and at one time it was a terminus for British Rail long-distance or InterCity services. From October 1947 until May 1983 these included sleeper services to and from London Euston. A sleeper service in the London direction only was briefly reintroduced between May 1987-May 1990.

Rail Hubs/Links
Roose

Roose

Generally, only local services operated by Northern Rail stop at the station. However, a few longer-distances services operated by First TransPennine Express also use the station.

Rail Hubs/Links
Dalton

Dalton

Generally, only local services operated by Northern Rail stop at the station. However, a few longer-distances services operated by First TransPennine Express also use the station.

Rail Hubs/Links
Ulverston

Ulverston

It is primarily served by regional express services operated by TransPennine Express from Manchester Airport to Barrow-in-Furness. Additionally it is served by local services operated by Northern Rail from Lancaster to Barrow-in-Furness, with some continuing to Sellafield or Carlisle via the Cumbrian Coast Line. The current buildings are architecturally fine and date from 1873, when they were rebuilt as befitting one of the main stations of the Furness Railway. The clock tower and glass awnings, now extensively restored, are particularly fine.

Rail Hubs/Links
Cark and Cartmel

Cark and Cartmel

The station is architecturally interesting, with a main building (see image) erected by the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway in 1857. The station had a particular importance, as it serves Holker Hall, the home of Lord Cavendish of Furness formerly belonging to the Dukes of Devonshire. Special waiting rooms were provided for the dukes and their guests. The actual building retains many original features and is now a private residence. It extends to approximately one acre of gardens and woodland.

Rail Hubs/Links
Kents Bank

Kents Bank

The station building was designed by the Lancaster architects Paley and Austin in 1865 for the Furness Railway.

Generally, services that are operated by Northern Rail mainly stop at this station. However, a few longer-distances services operated by First TransPennine Express also use the station.

Rail Hubs/Links
Grange-over-Sands

Grange-over-Sands

The station is adjacent to the Grange-Over-Sands Promenade which (until the River Kent changed its course) ran along the edge of Morecambe Bay.

The station booking office is on the "up" (Lancaster) platform; the "down" Barrow) platform features a second-hand book-shop. There is step-less access to both platforms.

Rail Hubs/Links
Arnside

Arnside

Opened in 1858 by the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway (a company backed by, and later taken over by the Furness Railway) (FR) in 1857, the station became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The station then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.

Rail Hubs/Links
Silverdale

Silverdale

Generally, only local services operated by Northern Rail stop at the station. However, a few longer-distances services operated by First TransPennine Express also use the station.

Rail Hubs/Links
Carnforth

Carnforth

Carnforth station was opened in 1846 by the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway Company (LCRC). It originally had a single platform and was a second-class station. It became a junction in 1857 when it was adjoined to the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway as its terminus. Soon afterwards, the Furness Railway began operating to Carnforth.