Stone Circles

Accessibility links

Inspire... Innovate... Imagine...
Tel:+44 (0)1768 895350 | Email:enquiries@investincumbria.co.uk

Stone Circles in Cumbria

There are many stone circles in Cumbria which date back to the era of the Rheged Kingdom.

To find out more about these popular tourist attractions please select a marker on the map for more information on that location.

Stone Circles
Birdoswald Fort

Birdoswald Fort

Birdoswald Roman Fort, was a fort, towards the western end of Hadrian's Wall, in the Roman province of Britannia. Today the site is occupied by a former farm called Birdoswald. As of 2005[update], it is the only site on Hadrian's Wall at which significant occupation in the post-Roman period has been proven, and it is subject to a long-term archaeological programme under the directorship of Tony Wilmott.

English Heritage - Birdoswald Roman Fort

Stone Circles
Wigton Fort

Wigton Fort

Birdoswald Roman Fort, was a fort, towards the western end of Hadrian's Wall, in the Roman province of Britannia. Today the site is occupied by a former farm called Birdoswald. As of 2005[update], it is the only site on Hadrian's Wall at which significant occupation in the post-Roman period has been proven, and it is subject to a long-term archaeological programme under the directorship of Tony Wilmott.

English Heritage - Birdoswald Roman Fort

Stone Circles
Crosscanonby Milefortlet

Crosscanonby Milefortlet

Crosscanonby Milefortlet is now the only element of Hadrian's coastal defences of the north west frontier to have been wholly excavated. The site consists of a viewing platform over the exposed excavation.

Visit Cumbria - Crosscanonby Milefortlet

Stone Circles
Senhouse Roman Museum

Senhouse Roman Museum

The Senhouse Roman Museum contains sculpture and inscriptions from the Roman Fort at Maryport, (Alauna), which lies next to the museum. The collection, begun by John Senhouse of Netherhall in the 1570's is the oldest in Britain.

Senhouse Roman Museum

Stone Circles
Ravenglass Bath House

Ravenglass Bath House

Remains of a Roman bath house associated with the fort of Glannaventa across the lane. Though there is little to see of the fort, plenty of the bath house remains to explore. The walls stand to over 12 feet in height, making the bath house one of the tallest surviving Roman sites in northern England. The bath house is thought to date to the period between the 2nd and 4th centuries AD. The fort was established in about 130 AD to guard the important harbour at Ravenglass.

English Heritage - Ravenglass Bath House

Stone Circles
Hard Knott Fort

Hard Knott Fort

Hardknott sits at 260m above sea level, projecting south west from the mass of Hardknott Fell. The fort was built in the second century AD under the Roman Emperor Hadrian. Its primary role was the guarding, policing and patrol of the road, defending it from invasion by Scots and Brigantes. It is believed to have been destroyed by local tribesman around 197AD and therefore was only used for a relatively short time compared to its sister forts at Ravenglass and Ambleside, which were occupied until well into the 4th century.

English Lakes - Hard Knott Fort

Stone Circles
Galava Fort

Galava Fort

was an oblong enclosure of about 300 420 feet, nearly 3 acres. Round it ran a wall of roughly coursed stone 4 feet thick, with a clay ramp behind and a ditch in front. Turrets stood at its corners. Four gates gave access to it; three of them were single and narrow, while the fourth, the east gate, was double and was flanked by two guard-chambers.

Visit Cumbria - Galava Fort

Stone Circles
Plumpton Fort

At Castlesteads or Old Penrith just north of Plumpton are the remains of a Roman Fort known as Voreda.

Visit Cumbria - Plumpton Fort