Historic railways in Cumbria
Cumbria has had a close relationship with railways in the past as during the industrial revolution Cumbria was a county full of heavy industry in which rail links were the infrastructure for which these goods were transported.
Marked on the map are some of the historic railways which are still in use today as visitor attractions, please click the markers on the map to display the information in this panel.
The Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway opened on May 24th 1875, its purpose being to ferry iron ore from workings near Boot to the coast at Ravenglass.
The South Tynedale Railway is a new narrow gauge railway, built to British two feet gauge or 610 mm metric equivalent, which runs from Alston in Cumbria, into Northumberland, in Northern England. It has been constructed by volunteers on the formation of a former standard gauge branch line from the historic Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.
The lakeside and haverthwaite railway is a historic branch line of the old Furness railway. The railway runs a seasonal service to and from lake Windermere on traditional steam trains.